Skip to main content

A Brand New Start... And Some Changes

After a massive period of inactivity, I'm back. And things are going to change...

First, a massive thank you to anyone who's been on this blog in the past. Putting opinions on the internet can be a scary thing, so thank you anyone who's enjoyed my witty ramblings on Doctor Who TV episodes, or Big Finish reviews, or even my opinions on Blake's 7. It means a lot to know that people have enjoyed the content, and I know several members of the Big Finish team (including Simon Guerrier) have been kind enough to say very good things about my opinions on the story's in question, even when they have been negative. So thank you for that.

Next, the blog has been in a state of flux for about a year now, with things springing up and wilting all over the place. All of this content will remain on the blog - for now. Everything will be shelved, and kept for posterity and reference. However, what is likely, is that I will be looking over this content again in the future, so the 'archive' material will form a basis for this new content. Over time, the archives will begin to disappear, so save your favourite's now. (I have to say my Diary Of River Song review is one of mine.)

As an addendum to all of the 'end of an era' stuff, I am also announcing that my account on The Time Scales website (for those who know, NewWorldreviews) is now defunct, and I have no plans to restart it. I would like to, but I find I simply don't have the time to cross-post, and I feel like I'd rather generate discussion, debate and even hype here, rather than on another website not controlled by me. I'd like to thank everyone on that website for there positive feedback, and I will continue to drop in on the site to keep up with reviews and submit ratings.

Now, with the past tied up, I'm moving onto the future... New content, new features, and a new side to the blog! First off, Big Finish content won't be the only regular feature... although considering the number of audios they have available, a large portion of the content being Big Finish is inevitable. I intended though for this content to be more organised, so we'll be looking at different Doctors and companions in sequential order, rather than just dipping in and out, in order to give the reviews a more consistent flow. I do intend to keep you all updated on what has been reviewed, so a helpful chart with links will be coming along very soon. I also intent to push on with more TV series Doctor Who reviews, and hopefully some of the AudioGo/BBC Physical Audio and Titan and DWM Comic lines as well. Particularly the comics, since I've been picking up a lot lately, and I've been really enjoying what I've been reading. I intend TV wise to probably be a bit more picky, flicking in and out of storylines, and just reviewing odd episodes here and there. Many millions of words have been written about most of these episodes online (an infinitesimally small number of those by me), and I would like to produce other stuff over it (like the aforementioned audios and comics). However, I would like to produce TV series review where I can, and I shall endeavour to write some words about them over the coming weeks and months. As for Doctor Who's many different ranges of novels and literature? Read on!

My next project is a 'Book Of The Month'. This is where I read a book in a month, and then write a review on it. I've found finding time over the past few years to set aside to reading really, really difficult, and I'm sad to say that it's a habit I've fallen out of. However, I intend to change that by focusing on one book a month, reading and then judging it. It can be Doctor Who or Star Wars or even something completely unrelated to any of them. They can even be original! I have already decided for my first pick to be Doctor Who And The Daleks, simply because I love that book, and think it's one of the best pieces of literature out there... From my unjudged critical perspective!

Next is more reviews: of not just Doctor Who! Sherlock, The Prisoner, Thunderbirds, Star Wars, Call Of Duty, the upcoming Russell T Davies' adaption of A Midsummer Night's Dream, Blake's 7, the music of Little Mix or more. Anything that I like, or have an opinion on will be discussed. I really want this blog to be a diverse hub of comments, and (in my humble view) critically judged opinions. And this really bleeds into my next point: essays! Yes, as a university student, I have to write loads of the bleeding things, but I've decided to write my own here. These will be much more informal, and much more opinionated, but I hope they provide an insight into how I work and how I process stuff, and the conclusions I make from things.

The next part of the blog's rebrand my writing! Yes, my own hard labour will be rearing it rather pitiful head here. I just want to get it promoted and put out there, so I hope you can all enjoy it. The first will be a story that I wrote for a university assignment, but there will be more, including some possible submissions for Big Finish' Short Trips competition, and even some original pieces, both Who related and not. Keep your eyes pealed, they'll just be surprises which just drop on your virtual doorstep.

Finally, there will be personal content from me. Stuff that I'm doing, things that are making me happy, and things that aren't. Looking back to the past, looking forward to the future, things which are pissing me off about the world and about my life, the works. I really want this blog to become a little scrapbook of my life, and for it to feature interesting content that's not just fun, but also personal, and like a formal organising of my life, splurged out in my own unique way.

All that's left to say is thank you for times gone, and I hope you'll stick around for times to come. The best is really yet to come...

Joe M.
The Definitive Article.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who - Beachhead

Starring Paul McGann, Hattie Morahan, Nicola Walker, Rebecca Night & Julia Hills. Written by Nicholas Briggs & Directed by Ken Bentley. In an attempt to recharge his batteries after his confrontation with the Eleven, the Doctor takes Liv and Helen to the sleepy English seaside village of Stegmoor. But they find the village in turmoil and, to make matters worse, their arrival uncovers a mystery from the Doctor’s past which threatens the future safety of the planet. Can the Doctor prevent the Voord from invading Earth? And more importantly why have they come in the first place? After the huge success of Doom Coalition 1, there was a lot of onus on the second set of stories to deliver. While the first set is probably overall not Big Finish's best box set, there was a lot of really strong reviews about how it was a very well constructed set overall, with one of the best villain introductions for the Eleven. Even I found the first box set a great success, something I w

The Diary Of River Song - I Went To A Marvellous Party

Starring Alex Kingston & Alexander Siddig. Written by Justin Richards & Directed by Ken Bentley. River Song always enjoys a good party, even when she’s not entirely sure where or when the party is taking place. But the party she ends up at is one where not everything – or indeed everyone – is what it seems… Being River, it doesn’t take her too long to go exploring, and it doesn’t take her too long to get into trouble. The sort of trouble that involves manipulating other civilisations, exploitation, and of course murder. River is confident she can find the killer. But can she identify them before anyone else – or quite possibly everyone else – gets killed? After a rather mediocre start to this first series of River Song adventures, it's nice to see the reliable hand that is Justin Richards brought in to oversee River's second audio outing. And he once again delivers a stylish, safe script that introduces some of the key elements to the series arc, and tells an

Doctor Who: Big Finish - The Complete Guide

Main Range: 1. The Sirens Of Time  Cast: Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Peter Davison (The Doctor), Colin Baker (The Doctor), Sarah Mowat (Elenya/Helen/Ellie/Lyena), Anthony Keetch (Coordinator Vansell), Michael Wade (The President), Colin McIntyre (Sancroff), Mark Gatiss (Captain Schwieger/Captain/Knight 2), John Wadmore (Commandant/Lt Zentner/Pilot Azimendah/Solanec), Andrew Fettes (Commander Raldeth/Schmidt), Maggie Stables (Ruthley), Nicholas Pegg (Delegate), Nicholas Briggs (The Temperon) Crew: Director: Nicholas Briggs; Writer: Nicholas Briggs; Music: Nicholas Briggs  Released: July 1999 PrĂ©cis: Three different incarnations of the Doctor are locked out of their TARDIS' and face a deadly danger, while an alien race threaten the Time Lords themselves... Observations: Big Finish had tried to secure the Doctor Who licence in 1998, but the BBC didn't allow it. However, after they released four audio plays based on Bernice Summerfield books, the BBC relented, and