Skip to main content

The Spotify Chart Rankings - Week Commencing 30th January 2017

Once again, it's a Monday, so once again, it's time to give my thoughts on this week's chart. There's been a little bit of movement in the charts (such as the loss of I Would Like - what are you doing Spotify listeners?), but, for the most part, this is going to play out a lot like last week's chart. There may, therefore be a small bit of copy and pasting, but hey, this is my gig, I make the rules.

10. You Don't Know Me - Jax Jones (Chart Position - 3)
Oh, for crying out loud... I Would Like is off the chart, but this, Say You Won't Let Go and Rockabye aren't? What is wrong with you all, you moronic, half-demented bunch of cranks? I am really starting to despise this song, because it's getting so much unwarranted praise and attention. It's like Work all over again: a pile of utter rubbish lifted to stardom. I despise this song, and with good reason, since everything about it doesn't work. It's really not an enjoyable listen, and I know all 'art' is subjective and all that, but I don't understand how anyone can choose to listen to it. It's obtuse, and I hate obtuse music, I really do. Thank god for Ed Sheeran, because, without him, I reckon this mess of a song would be at number 1.


9. Say You Won't Let Go - James Arthur (Chart Position - 10)
I'm not going to talk about this again. Instead, I'm just going to copy my thoughts from two weeks ago, which pretty much sum up everything I have to say about this song:
I keep saying this, but this song is a real tragedy. If only it had been left alone, it would have been fine. The new mix still hasn't improved in my estimations, and, frankly, I don't think it's going to. I do sometimes think I'm going mad, wondering if I've just made up the original version of this song, but sadly, eveytime I listen to this poor remix, I remember that this song, and artist, had so much more potential in the original edit. I hope for the sake of this song, and broken records, that this leaves the charts in the next week.
The only addition I'll make is that it's highly unlikely this song will be here next week.


8. Rockabye - Clean Bandit (feat. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie) (Chart Position - 6)
Oh, for crying out loud... I'm not speaking about this again, so here's my thoughts from last week here, because I can't rewrite myself for five weeks straight:
Hurrah! We have movement! This song's drop from third position has been a long time coming, and I'm frankly grateful. This is another song that I have little to say about that I haven't already said before: it's got some poor melodies, poor beats, some terrible additions from Sean Paul and it seriously mishandles the subject matter it's trying to talk about. The violin at the end has kept me putting this song below Say You Won't Let Go, however. Down is definitely the way this song needs to go.
Damn you for letting I Would Like drop out of the top ten before this.


7. Call On Me: Ryan Riback Extended Remix - Starley (Chart Position - 8)
I really think the days of songs like Call On Me have passed. This song has been around for quite sometime now, and, as far as I'm aware, it's completely failed to make an impression. The most recent EDM songs like Just Hold On and even By Your Side (which is actually decent, I might add) haven't hung around on the charts very long, and this one is really struggling against superior competition. Especially considering that Rockabye and Touch have been in the top ten since the turn of the year, and I think it's indictive of the problem with the genre at the moment: very few people are producing anything of note. Looking through playlists like Massive Dance Hits and UK House Hits on Spotify, I'm finding it hard to pick out any songs that have got a play-life longer than about 2 months. And since this one's been in the chart for about that time, it wouldn't surprise me if this song was about to drop off the radar in a sharp and alarming way. I think EDM and House music needs a serious reinvention if it's going to survive against stiff competition from other genres, which, at the moment, are generally beating it hands down.


6. September Song - JP Cooper (Chart Position - 7)
What an odd song to be released now? Surely this should have been released in, oh I don't know, September?! But, in all seriousness, I don't think this song is actually that bad. Now, if I hadn't listened to it before this week, I probably wouldn't be singing it's praises that highly. But I noticed a friend of mine tweeted about this song before Christmas, and I've slowly been watching this one climb up the chart over the past weeks, knowing that this one is probably going to be quite successful. And I think, in comparison to most of the stuff on the chart at the moment, it deserves to be, because it's not really that bad. It's got a lovely relaxed quality to it, and it gives off a lovely summer-y feeling, which is very much appreciated this time of year. I also think JP Cooper has got a really good voice, and it's a voice that's perfectly in keeping with the tone and atmosphere. You could fall asleep to this, and I mean that in a good way. It's a lovely piece of work. However, it isn't without flaws. Some of the melodies feel a little... odd, especially in the verses. The distorted drums are my particular problem, because they just stand out a mile off. I also think it feels a little rough around the edges. The bridge tries to go for an 80's groovy synth-type beat, and just doesn't work because it feels far too forced in. While this song does have a few issues, it's a good start from a new artist. And frankly, we haven't had enough of those in recent times. After all, bar one song, everything in the top 5 has come from artists who've been around for at least 3 years.


5. Paris - The Chainsmokers (Chart Position - 4)
I'm really liking the new Chainsmokers. Their early songs were all full of excess, but since Closer, they've been releasing some really restrained material that's actually really well put together. Paris has grown on me across the week - not really enough to bump it up, but enough to make me think that it could climb, if given enough time in the chart. Last week, I commented about how there were melodies that didn't quite work for me. However, this week, I can't seem to find them, because listening to this back to back with September Song has shown me why this is the superior song, and why those melodies are better in than out. While September Song plays it safe as far as tropical house, and relaxed music goes, Paris decides to muck around with the conventions, to try and elicit a response. It's a song that needs those unusual guitar riffs, because it's trying to highlight how passionate emotions can run in a city of romance like Paris. And I think they do work, because the song makes them work. I'm really starting to like Paris a lot, and I'm hoping that whatever the Chainsmokers release next will be half as good as this.


For the next four songs, I've decided to copy and paste my thoughts from previous weeks, as, really, I have nothing new to say on them.

4. Touch - Little Mix (Chart Position - 5)
These are my thoughts from five weeks ago:
There's no real surprise here. Anyone who knows me will know I love Little Mix. And not even in a 'so bad they're good' or even a 'guilty pleasure' kind of way. I genuinely think they're a great group, with a fantastic dynamic and some really good voices. Yes, sue me, I don't give a dam. Touch is definitely their strongest single since Secret Love Song (although I did really like Shout Out To My Ex), with a rather upbeat melody that, despite it's occasional house-styled chorus, is actually quite relaxing and laid back. Like Starboy, this is a nice song to listen to, and definitely one of the strongest songs on their latest album, Glory Days. The bridge is great also, certainly the most notable out of all the songs on this list. The lyrics aren't charged with hormone-driven emotion either, just subtle enough to be realistic, but with enough artistic-licence to be interesting. And believe me, I've met people who are just drop-dead amazing. This isn't exaggerated. While I Would Like is a bit of a guilty pleasure, I can whole-heartedly recommend this one.


3. Human - Rag'n'Bone Man (Chart Positon - 9)
These are my thoughts from three weeks ago:
Another song that has slipped down the chart, however this isn't a detriment on quality. Stiff competition, and possible overplay, have pushed this song out of the top spot it was in last week, but that's nothing to be ashamed of. Last week, I said the amount of times I listened to this song was in the triple digits, and that's true still. Sadly, the fresher, more recent songs of a certain redhead have pushed this down a little bit in my estimations, but I still stand by everything that I said last week, the same as I did for I Would Like and Touch. This is still a great song, Rag'n'Bone Man are a great find and I hope they win at the BRIT Awards. However, I just need a period to avoid the song, just to get it out of my head for a bit. And then I'll be able to come back to it, and have a fresh appreciation for it.


2. Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran (Chart Position - 1)
These are my thoughts from three weeks ago:
It's quite hard to pit these two songs against each other, since they are two rather different beasts. Shape Of You is still a success, possibly more so than Castle On The Hill because, on every chart, it has lead over Castle On The Hill, and I still adore it. I've seen this one crop up on a lot of easy listening playlists, and, I have to say, they're rings some truth their. All the melodies and beats are perfect for that genre: you could just sink away listening to it. I, in particular, love the way Sheeran uses his voice. He plays around with it in so many different ways that it makes it seem effortless, and the song feels like it flows perfectly. He's leading us on a journey, something that I think is so key to this songs success. Backed up by all the strong work that goes into the song, you get an excellent hit that is truly deserving of the title.


1. Castle On The Hill - Ed Sheeran (Chart Position - 2)
These are my thoughts from three weeks ago:
You may be wondering why this is here, and the answer is no, it's not my facetious nature putting this song here. I have gained a great appreciation for this song recently, and I think that's completely born out. My only complaint with this song last week I've kind of decided to ignore, just because the storytelling here is so strong. It's so clear we're going on a journey with Sheeran here. A journey that, as I've been listening to this song a bit more, I've started to appreciate. Like Shape Of You, Sheeran's vocals carry you through: no part of the song is an extended instrumental to cover any deficiencies of the performer. It's just Ed, guiding us through the story that he wants to tell. I this this song is better than Shape Of You: possibly because it's more light-hearted than that song, and I'm in the mood for that, or maybe because it feels more personal, like Sheeran is telling us about his only life. But, truth be told, I don't think I really know. I suspect that it might be interesting watching these songs fluctuate over the next month or two.


So, this is the Spotify Chart cross-compared with my listings for ease of reference:

Spotify:
1. Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
2. Castle On The Hill - Ed Sheeran
3. You Don't Know Me - Jax Jones
4. Paris - The Chainsmokers
5. Touch - Little Mix
6. Rockabye - Clean Bandit (feat. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie)
7. September Song - JP Cooper
8. Call On Me: Ryan Riback Extended Remix - Starley
9. Human - Rag'n'Bone Man
10. Say You Won't Let Go - James Arthur

Me:
1. Castle On The Hill - Ed Sheeran
2. Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
3. Human - Rag'n'Bone Man
4. Touch - Little Mix
5. Paris - The Chainsmokers
6. September Song - JP Cooper
7. Call On Me: Ryan Riback Extended Remix - Starley
8. Rockabye - Clean Bandit (feat. Sean Paul & Anne-Marie)
9. Say You Won't Let Go - James Arthur
10. You Don't Know Me - Jax Jones

Join me this time next week, as I take another look at the charts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who - Beachhead

Starring Paul McGann, Hattie Morahan, Nicola Walker, Rebecca Night & Julia Hills. Written by Nicholas Briggs & Directed by Ken Bentley. In an attempt to recharge his batteries after his confrontation with the Eleven, the Doctor takes Liv and Helen to the sleepy English seaside village of Stegmoor. But they find the village in turmoil and, to make matters worse, their arrival uncovers a mystery from the Doctor’s past which threatens the future safety of the planet. Can the Doctor prevent the Voord from invading Earth? And more importantly why have they come in the first place? After the huge success of Doom Coalition 1, there was a lot of onus on the second set of stories to deliver. While the first set is probably overall not Big Finish's best box set, there was a lot of really strong reviews about how it was a very well constructed set overall, with one of the best villain introductions for the Eleven. Even I found the first box set a great success, something I w

The Diary Of River Song - I Went To A Marvellous Party

Starring Alex Kingston & Alexander Siddig. Written by Justin Richards & Directed by Ken Bentley. River Song always enjoys a good party, even when she’s not entirely sure where or when the party is taking place. But the party she ends up at is one where not everything – or indeed everyone – is what it seems… Being River, it doesn’t take her too long to go exploring, and it doesn’t take her too long to get into trouble. The sort of trouble that involves manipulating other civilisations, exploitation, and of course murder. River is confident she can find the killer. But can she identify them before anyone else – or quite possibly everyone else – gets killed? After a rather mediocre start to this first series of River Song adventures, it's nice to see the reliable hand that is Justin Richards brought in to oversee River's second audio outing. And he once again delivers a stylish, safe script that introduces some of the key elements to the series arc, and tells an

Doctor Who: Big Finish - The Complete Guide

Main Range: 1. The Sirens Of Time  Cast: Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Peter Davison (The Doctor), Colin Baker (The Doctor), Sarah Mowat (Elenya/Helen/Ellie/Lyena), Anthony Keetch (Coordinator Vansell), Michael Wade (The President), Colin McIntyre (Sancroff), Mark Gatiss (Captain Schwieger/Captain/Knight 2), John Wadmore (Commandant/Lt Zentner/Pilot Azimendah/Solanec), Andrew Fettes (Commander Raldeth/Schmidt), Maggie Stables (Ruthley), Nicholas Pegg (Delegate), Nicholas Briggs (The Temperon) Crew: Director: Nicholas Briggs; Writer: Nicholas Briggs; Music: Nicholas Briggs  Released: July 1999 PrĂ©cis: Three different incarnations of the Doctor are locked out of their TARDIS' and face a deadly danger, while an alien race threaten the Time Lords themselves... Observations: Big Finish had tried to secure the Doctor Who licence in 1998, but the BBC didn't allow it. However, after they released four audio plays based on Bernice Summerfield books, the BBC relented, and