Skip to main content

The Spotify Chart Rankings - Week Commencing 20th February 2017

It's that time of week again, where we go through the charts, and pull them apart. This week, there are some changes, including another preview of Ed Sheeran's latest album. So, we'll get started straight away with:

10. You Don't Know Me - Jax Jones (Chart Position - 3)
Please stop this. Why is this so popular? What possess people to listen to this song? It's really, really bad, and I mean that. It's worse than Sexual. I don't want this to be a thing, I just wish it would crawl back into the musical dead alley that it came from.








9. Call On Me: Ryan Riback Extended Remix - Starley (Chart Position - 8)
Again, a song that's still in trouble, but yet still clinging on in there. I don't really have too much more to say about this entry, apart from the fact that this has been in the top 10 for about the same amount of time as Just Hold On. Again, both are bland EDM, and I feel like they are totemic of a wider problem in EDM. Mind you, I would possibly say Just Hold On is better, possibly because it never got to the same level of saturation as this has. Another song that people keep claiming to be 'the next big thing', but really isn't. Still, unlike You Don't Know Me, the evidence doesn't support those claims.




8. I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker) - ZAYN & The Other One (Chart Position - 6)
Ok, Valentine's Day is over now, can we stop playing this one now? Why this song is still here baffles me, because it's nothing new. Every single element can be traced back to something else that, let's face it, has been done better elsewhere. The slow, electronic-based beat? Starboy, Can't Feel My Face, Earned It, in fact pretty much any song by The Weeknd. The seductive lyrics that draw you in? Pretty much every 'love' song since the first Fifty Shades movie came out (to name a few examples: Love Me Like You Do, Closer, Cool For The Summer Pillowtalk, etc., etc.). And the film it's attached to? Well, they've had talents like The Weeknd, Ellie Goulding and even BeyoncĂ© producing for it. So now, we've come to this, getting ZAYN (the most boring fifth of One Direction) and 'that one' (who is mostly well known for bitching about her ex's) to produce a mediocre song about desire that I can barely remember five things about once it's finished. Completely unmemorable, and I so hope that they don't split the last movie into two parts. I can't cope with two more carbon copies like this.


7. September Song - JP Cooper (Chart Position - 10)
I really do feel sorry for this song. It's never quite had the chance to make the impression I feel that it could have done, which is a great pity. It's relaxed quality makes it stand out from the heavy beats that have marked out the charts recently. I certainly don't think it's flawless: some of the instruments (or instrument samples, in some painfully obvious cases) jarr with the rest of the song, to such a degree that I wonder why they were included at all. Still, it's a decent first song from an artist that I'm looking forward to hearing more from. It's just a shame I doubt this will be here next week.




6. Touch - Little Mix (Chart Position - 9)
Now the last remaining remnant of 2016, Touch has certainly weathered change the most resiliently. After all, every other song (including the song that held it from number 1 status, Rockabye) that was in the charts when this first joined has been eliminated, and it perhaps shows that I was right to put this at number 1 the very first time I did these charts. But beyond that, it's just a very good song that's an enjoyable listen. I don't think this will be here next week, but it's been nice to talk about it, and I'll be interested to see which song on the Glory Days album will be the next to sail to dominance.



5. Human - Rag'n'Bone Man (Chart Position - 5)
This song really has taken it's time. Like Touch and even Call On Me, this was released in 2016, but has taken it's time to chart. However, I think that was worth it, because it's certainly made quite the impression. I'm surprised this hasn't reached number 1, but that's possibly because of the behemoth that is Ed Sheeran. That being said, I still love this song, and I think that this has the potential to go down as a minor classic. It's certainly one I'll be revisiting a number of times over the coming weeks and months, and it's one I think you should too.




4. Paris - The Chainsmokers (Chart Position - 4)
I don't really have too much to say about this one. My thoughts are pretty much the same as 2 weeks ago:
I love the slow build-up, and the way it launches into the saxophone-filled chorus. I love the lyrics, that give off a lovely feeling about running away from responsibility. I love the vocals, which are just husky enough to give off a feeling of weariness, but joyful enough to bask in the amazing spectacle that the song presents. But most of all, I love the images that the song presents. I love the ideas it paints in my head. Some might think that I'm stepping away from my detached frame of mind, but when something connects with you emotionally, you have to factor that into your response: you can't just remained detached to it. And I like Paris for just that reason - it resonates with me.
I was tempted to drop the song down a bit this week, but that would be for personal reasons (nothing to do with me liking or disliking the song - just my own state of mind), and I don't think that's fair. I pride myself that these lists are based purely on my analytical state, and that wouldn't be the case if I moved this.

3. Castle On The Hill - Ed Sheeran (Chart Position - 2)
I've nothing new to say about this, so I'll copy my thoughts from 7 weeks ago to cover this:
The first of Ed's double bombshells this week owes more to his earlier work rather than the singles released from his album X. This song has a really welcome 7 Years vibe, and it feels like your on that road trip with Ed. Ed has a beautiful poetry in his lyrics: he knows how to communicate a message with his audience really easily. That's backed up by a really strong guitar beat, some amazing choral work that's subtle and in no way intrusive and some excellent electronic melodies. It's really hard to say much about Sheeran songs like this or Lego House: they just touch something that is seemingly at the core of most people, if not everyone. The only thing I would criticise with it is that his high-pitched sound-offs for most of the choruses are a little grating, but that's not really enough to put it lower. I love this, and is this is anything to go by, we're in for a really good year for music.

2. Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran (Chart Position - 1)
Again, thoughts from 6 weeks ago to cover this:
Shape Of You is still a success, possibly more so than Castle On The Hill because, on every chart, it has lead over Castle On The Hill, and I still adore it. I've seen this one crop up on a lot of easy listening playlists, and, I have to say, they're rings some truth their. All the melodies and beats are perfect for that genre: you could just sink away listening to it. I, in particular, love the way Sheeran uses his voice. He plays around with it in so many different ways that it makes it seem effortless, and the song feels like it flows perfectly. He's leading us on a journey, something that I think is so key to this songs success. Backed up by all the strong work that goes into the song, you get an excellent hit that is truly deserving of the title.


1. How Would You Feel (Paean) - Ed Sheeran (Chart Position - 7)
I know this is a new entry, but it's such a shame this is so low on the charts. The reason why I skipped over Ed's other two hits so much is because they've been talked about to death: this is new and fresh. I don't know whether or not this was an intentionally released single, or just a preview of his upcoming album, I don't know. But what I love about this song is just it's elegance: it's lyrical and poetic. Now, I have a lot of experience with the subject matter. In fact, I've had the answer to the question posed in the chorus of the song this very week. And I can completely resonate with this song, I really can. Sheeran's vocals also sell it, but pretty much every song he touches is fantastic, there's no doubt about that. The subtle guitar instrumental is also what sells this song: they completely wrap around this song, and entrance you completely. It's a beautiful melody, and, frankly, it's exactly what I need right now. It's interesting that the best songs this year haven't been the big, bold, blasting songs, but rather the more subtle, experimental material. Sure, I wouldn't call this experimental, but it's certainly a great song that I can't wait to hear has made it to number 1, hopefully.  
Although I do have one nitpick - why is the bracket for this song Paean? Answers on a postcard to 'Please Give Me This Answer', Cheadle Hulme, Cheadle, PO Box Do-People-Actually-Still-Do-This'. Or 'tweet' me. Why not do that?


So, this is the Spotify Chart cross-compared with my listings for ease of reference:

Spotify:
1. Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
2. Castle On The Hill - Ed Sheeran
3. You Don't Know Me - Jax Jones
4. Paris - The Chainsmokers
5. Human - Rag'n'Bone Man
6. I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker) - ZAYN & The Other One
7. How Would You Feel (Paean) - Ed Sheeran
8. Call On Me: Ryan Riback Extended Remix - Starley
9. Touch - Little Mix
10. September Song - JP Cooper

Me:
1. How Would You Feel (Paean) - Ed Sheeran
2. Shape Of You - Ed Sheeran
3. Castle On The Hill - Ed Sheeran
4. Paris - The Chainsmokers
5. Human - Rag'n'Bone Man
6. Touch - Little Mix
7. September Song - JP Cooper
8. I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker) - ZAYN & The Other One
9. Call On Me: Ryan Riback Extended Remix - Starley
10. You Don't Know Me - Jax Jones

That's it for this week! Join me next week, for our last look at the charts for February!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doctor Who - Beachhead

Starring Paul McGann, Hattie Morahan, Nicola Walker, Rebecca Night & Julia Hills. Written by Nicholas Briggs & Directed by Ken Bentley. In an attempt to recharge his batteries after his confrontation with the Eleven, the Doctor takes Liv and Helen to the sleepy English seaside village of Stegmoor. But they find the village in turmoil and, to make matters worse, their arrival uncovers a mystery from the Doctor’s past which threatens the future safety of the planet. Can the Doctor prevent the Voord from invading Earth? And more importantly why have they come in the first place? After the huge success of Doom Coalition 1, there was a lot of onus on the second set of stories to deliver. While the first set is probably overall not Big Finish's best box set, there was a lot of really strong reviews about how it was a very well constructed set overall, with one of the best villain introductions for the Eleven. Even I found the first box set a great success, something I w

The Diary Of River Song - I Went To A Marvellous Party

Starring Alex Kingston & Alexander Siddig. Written by Justin Richards & Directed by Ken Bentley. River Song always enjoys a good party, even when she’s not entirely sure where or when the party is taking place. But the party she ends up at is one where not everything – or indeed everyone – is what it seems… Being River, it doesn’t take her too long to go exploring, and it doesn’t take her too long to get into trouble. The sort of trouble that involves manipulating other civilisations, exploitation, and of course murder. River is confident she can find the killer. But can she identify them before anyone else – or quite possibly everyone else – gets killed? After a rather mediocre start to this first series of River Song adventures, it's nice to see the reliable hand that is Justin Richards brought in to oversee River's second audio outing. And he once again delivers a stylish, safe script that introduces some of the key elements to the series arc, and tells an

Doctor Who: Big Finish - The Complete Guide

Main Range: 1. The Sirens Of Time  Cast: Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor), Peter Davison (The Doctor), Colin Baker (The Doctor), Sarah Mowat (Elenya/Helen/Ellie/Lyena), Anthony Keetch (Coordinator Vansell), Michael Wade (The President), Colin McIntyre (Sancroff), Mark Gatiss (Captain Schwieger/Captain/Knight 2), John Wadmore (Commandant/Lt Zentner/Pilot Azimendah/Solanec), Andrew Fettes (Commander Raldeth/Schmidt), Maggie Stables (Ruthley), Nicholas Pegg (Delegate), Nicholas Briggs (The Temperon) Crew: Director: Nicholas Briggs; Writer: Nicholas Briggs; Music: Nicholas Briggs  Released: July 1999 PrĂ©cis: Three different incarnations of the Doctor are locked out of their TARDIS' and face a deadly danger, while an alien race threaten the Time Lords themselves... Observations: Big Finish had tried to secure the Doctor Who licence in 1998, but the BBC didn't allow it. However, after they released four audio plays based on Bernice Summerfield books, the BBC relented, and